I’m back this week with a new #BEABOSS blog post, unfortunately, due to tough circumstances and my inability to control the things that were going on in my life, I missed a week or so of this series. Nevertheless, I still aspire to keep on creating and hopefully continue giving every single one of my readers’ inspiration, motivation and useful advice.
Therefore, I only saw it fit to speak about the importance of taking care of yourself, no matter the circumstance, as a human being and as a person you are worthy of self-love and self-care. Every #boss knows that taking care of yourself is a vital first step in the ladder of success, or in a more relatable case, the non-linear graph of success.
The first thing that might spring to mind when I mention ‘taking care of yourself’ is physical health, which is, of course, important, but equally so to mental and spiritual health. Without having a balance in these different aspects you’ll start to falter and things may become increasingly difficult.
Though I’ve stated that you need to take care of yourself, I do understand that it’s much easier said than done, which is why I want to speak about routine. A lot of people, myself included, make the mistake of only taking care of ourselves when we’re going through a rough patch or just simply having a not-so-good day. However, self-care, in my opinion, is more effective once a routine is created, by this I mean, practicing self-care all day, every day, whether you’re having an amazing day or not, we all need a way to care for ourselves, even if it’s just a few steps everyday.
So here are a few ways you can practice self-care and hopefully implement it into your daily life:
For the mind:
- Reflection – set aside 10 minutes at the end of the day to reflect on how the day went, did something go wrong? How did you feel? Can you take different steps to avoid any of the problems you encountered? Remember to celebrate any victory big or small.
- Meditation – like reflection use this to get in tune with your inner self, practice awareness, mindfulness and focus, understand your emotions and let go of anything that’s holding you back.
- Unplug – personally my phone is attached to my hand 24/7, but the benefits of switching off are underrated, you become more focused and aware of the present, and there’s nothing better than being present.
- Edit toxic people – this is another step I’m still trying to implement, getting rid of toxic people removes the negativity that was attached to them and by letting go you bring yourself a piece of mind.
For the body:
- Body scanning – focus on a single body part at a time, check in with how each part feels, remove any tension or stress that each part is holding, you’d be surprised to learn how much tension you hold without realising.
- Walking – taking a brisk walk either through the house/apartment can get your blood pumping and your brain into better shape, bonus points if you take it outside too.
- Stretching – if you’re a busy person like myself you’ll know the pain if a few pulled muscles or injured body parts, taking a few seconds to stretch out any kinks can help in the long run.
- Laugh – laughter really is the best medicine, whether it’s through friends, through a comedy show or even a meme on social media, anything that makes you laugh is always worth it.
For the soul:
- Emotional check-in – just like reflection, it’s very important to check in with your emotions and ensure that you feel them, by bottling it in any way you only risk it coming out in other ways. Understand what you feel and communicate it.
- Talking to friends – again another underrated thing to do as a form of self-care, not only are you able to get rid of whatever’s troubling you, you can get advice and have a good time as well, so many bonus things that you should definitely take advantage of.
- Indulgence – in other words, treat yo self, you have so much self-worth and purpose in this world and should treat yourself to a small gift, like retail therapy this is an instant mood lifter.
- Self-date – similar to indulgence, spend a day doing something that you truly enjoy and that’s nourishing to your soul, like reading, visiting places, or a favourite hobby.
I hope this somewhat limited list gives you the inspiration and motivation to take care of yourself, a healthy you can lead to greater success!!